We’ve all heard it many times, and health studies agree, that breakfast could very well be the most important meal of the day. And, believe it or not, breakfast affects your oral health, too!
(The Wrong) Breakfast Can Harm Your Teeth During Orthodontic Treatment
Because most of us are on the go from morning ’til night, breakfast can easily be an imbalanced, over-sugary meal! While we don’t usually eat candy for breakfast, we often opt for popular cereals or baked goodies that are loaded with sugar. These unhealthy breakfast choices can be harmful to your teeth and gums—and your orthodontic appliances—with multiplying effects if you’re not brushing and flossing after breakfast.
A Healthy, Balanced Breakfast Can Protect Your Teeth
Just like your body, your mouth needs nutritious food to stay healthy. A balanced breakfast rich in healthful fruits and vegetables, fiber, and proteins can help prevent tooth decay, early tooth loss, bad breath, and gum disease.
Healthy teeth and gums respond better to orthodontic treatment—so eating a good breakfast may also help you attain your goal of a healthy, straight, beautiful smile!
The Right Choices For A Smile-Friendly Breakfast
- Choose whole grains (oatmeal, whole wheat bread) instead of refined, highly processed grains.
- Choose high fiber cereals with less preservatives and added sugar.
- Choose healthy fruits and vegetables (chopped into easy-to-chew, bite-sized pieces).
- Drink water or unsweetened tea to strengthen tooth enamel and help prevent tooth decay.
- Use moderation with fruit juices and smoothies, as they are typically high in sugar and can be quite acidic.
- Consider dinner for breakfast. Choose high-quality protein such as eggs, chicken, fish, beans, cheese, etc.
- Avoid hard or sticky foods that could damage your braces or orthodontic appliance.
A Healthy Breakfast Kickstarts Your Day And Your Healthy Smile
Studies have found that a healthy breakfast can positively affect your energy, mood and focus.So, start eating breakfasts that protect your smile AND make you feel good!
Thanks for trusting your smile to Horner Barrow Orthodontics!