Patients in our office here at Horner Barrow Orthodontics often ask about keeping their braces clean. Concerns usually involve bad breath, discoloring of teeth, or food caught in their braces.
Here are 5 tips to keep in mind while wearing braces.
- It’s just as important to clean the inside areas of your teeth as well as the chewing surface of each tooth. Brush all surfaces inside, outside, along the top of the teeth and the gum line for best results.
- The American Dental Association recommends you brush your teeth for approximately three minutes to do a good job… even if you aren’t wearing braces.
- Use dental floss often. Food is often trapped between teeth and flossing with braces is easier with a floss threader, especially when trying to thread the floss under your main wire. Dental floss threaders save time and are very easy to use once you get the hang of it. They are available in the toothbrush aisle in any grocery or drug store in the Sioux Falls area.
- Be prepared. In order to brush after every meal you must be prepared. Always keep a toothbrush in your purse, backpack, or laptop case. The TOOB brush was designed with orthodontic patients in mind. It’s easy to use, you can refill it with your own toothpaste, and it travels anywhere.
- Regular dental cleanings and checkups are still important. It’s your job to take care of the everyday cleaning. However, we recommend you visit your dentist regularly while wearing braces to eliminate any plaque you may have missed while brushing or using dental floss.